About Our Handkerchiefs
For many years, handkerchiefs were primarily used for blowing noses and they were tucked away out of sight inside of pockets and purses. But sometime in the sixteenth century, handkerchiefs came out of the pocket and became fashion accessories.
Today, fashion models and designers routinely add lace and scalloped edges to cotton and linen handkerchiefs to wrap around their arms and flaunt them. And as a result, hankies are now a staple in fashion shows around the world.
Aside from being just a fashion accessory, handkerchiefs are also used as special keepsakes for weddings and baptisms. A common tradition is to fold a hankie into a baby bonnet
which is then passed down from generation to generation.
In the past, a handkerchief was just a small square of thin fabric designed for personal hygiene but at Bumblebee Linens, we believe that hankies serve a much larger purpose
Here are some special occasions where hankies make perfect gifts
The Types Of Handkerchiefs That We Carry
- Lace Edged Handkerchiefs – All of our lace hankies are made of 100% cotton or linen. They are handy, soft and durable and make excellent gifts for wedding, baptisms and other special occasions.
- Monogrammed Handkerchiefs – Many of our hankies can be monogrammed with 1, 2 or 3 initials and we do custom embroidery for both mens and womens hankies. For men, monogrammed hankies usually go best with suits or semi-formal wear with cross-weave patterns. For women, floral or texts embroidered in one corner of the hankie is a classic form of expression. Both make perfect gifts.
- Personalized Handkerchiefs – In addition to monograms, we can also embroider short messages in any thread color or hue of your choice. Sending a personal message via a handkerchief is a unique way to express your affection for a loved one.
- Color Embroidery - If you prefer vibrant colors and beautiful embroidered designs, our color embroidered hankies make perfect gifts. Enjoy browsing our large selection of flower and butterfly designs.
- White Embroidery - If you prefer classic white hankies with beautifully stitched designs, our white embroidered hankies are for you.
- Print Handkerchiefs – Vintage inspired hankies make excellent accessories for men and women. The hankies we carry are made of cotton with decorative edges and printed with retro and vintage designs.
- Heirloom Handkerchiefs – Imported from Germany, Switzerland and Ireland, our heirloom hankies are the finest and most intricate handkerchiefs that we carry in our shop. The European lace designs are both beautiful and delicate.
- Bridal Sets - Primarily meant for weddings, you can purchase a set of matching handkerchiefs for the entire bridal party.
What To Look For In A Handkerchief
A handkerchief is a symbol of elegance and confidence and we've put together a few shopping tips below.
- Size – Mens hankies usually measure at least 16 by 16 inches whereas womens hankies typically vary from 10 x 10 to 15 x 15 inches. However mens pocket squares or suit handkerchiefs typically measure 12 x 12.
- Design/Type – Our hankies comes in various colors and designs. Always make sure that your hankie best suits the occasion. It may be embroidered, printed, monogrammed, personalized or vintage-inspired.
- Material – Make sure to check if the hankies are made of 100% cotton, linen or silk and avoid polyester if possible. Cotton is the most common material used for hankies because it is absorbent and has a soft touch. Linen is also a great hankie material because of its texture, durability and weight.