Making a Hankie Sachet
These lovely sachets made from our white lace handkerchiefs will add a delicate scent to your lingerie and wardrobe. Fill your sachet with scented potpourri or english lavender to add a breath of fresh air anywhere in the house. These also make a great gifts for bridesmaids or they can be given as bridal shower favors.
Directions How To Make A Hankie Sachet
- Iron the handkerchief you will be using (Figure 1)
- Fold each of the corners toward the center of the handkerchief (Figure 2)
- Iron the fold you've just made to keep it in place for sewing.
- Sew a seam half an inch along each folded edge. It is important to stop when you hit the lace. (Figure 3 + 4)
- Now you have four casings to thread the pieces of ribbon through.
- Thread one side of the ribbon through the bobby pin. (Figure 5)
- Insert the bobby pin through one opening and keep feeding it through all four casings of the handkerchief until the ribbons meet again. Pull the ribbon so that the ends are equal on both sides of the hankie. (Figure 6)
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the second strip of ribbon but start in the opening on the opposite side of the hankie.
- When you've threaded both ribbons through all four casings, pull the ribbons slightly to form a sack. Now open the sack slightly and pour in your potpourri. (Figure 7)
- Now pull the ribbons tight on both sides of the hankie and tie a bow in the center of the sack with both ribbons.
- Fluff the edges of the lace.
- Congratulations you have just made a beautiful Hankie Sachet.
Shop Materials For This Craft
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free book of crafts!
- Arts and crafts projects
- DIY tutorials
- Fun decorating ideas