Making a Hankie Flower Girl Purse
Imagine how cute your flower girl will look sprinkling flower petals down the aisle carrying this personalized handmade flower purse. Monogram your initials on the purse to make this an extra special addition to your wedding ceremony.
Making a hankie flower purse is easy to do and can be done in under 20 minutes.
Our lace handkerchiefs and white embroidered handkerchiefs are perfect handkerchiefs for this craft!
Directions How To Make A Hankie Flower Purse
- Iron both handkerchiefs flat. If your handkerchief is monogrammed or embroidered, make sure you iron the handkerchief over a towel to protect the embroidery.
- Piece 2 hankies together with the monogram facing in and away from you.
- Machine stitch the 2 hankies closest to you on two sides, making sure that the lace edges meet.
- Fold the unstitched corner down to form an upside down triangle. Repeat with the second corner. (Figure 1)
- Stitch along the top of the triangle about 1 inch below the fold, to make the ribbon casing. Repeat with the second triangle.
- Thread the first 30 inch strip of ribbon through the casing, leaving the ends of the ribbon dangling equally on both sides of the hankie. Repeat with the second casing, also leaving the ends of the ribbon dangling. (Figure 2)
- To form the purse shape, pull the ribbon tighter letting the hankie gather.
- On the side of the purses, tie the ribbon together into a bow. (Figure 3+4)
- To create the purse handle, attach the remaining 10 inch strip of ribbon on both sides of the purse by hand stitching it in place.
- Congratulations you made a beautiful hankie flower girl purse.
Shop Materials For This Craft
Sign up for our newsletter and receive a free book of crafts!
- Arts and crafts projects
- DIY tutorials
- Fun decorating ideas